“Meditation is about achieving a state of mental calm through suspending thoughts or through focused concentration. It has been found to reduce pain and stress, elevate mood, and alter bodily stress patterns”
Although there are various types of meditation practices, all practices involve techniques to encourage and develop concentration, emotional positivity and relief from stress or pain. Meditation helps you to learn the patterns and habits of your mind, which can lead to the cultivation of new, more positive ways of Being.
Transcendental Meditation, is considered the simplest type of meditation, and involves the repetition of a single word or phrase (mantra). This allows the mind to naturally and effortlessly transcend thinking and to experience a state of restful yet alert consciousness.
Mindfulness Meditation, is a western, research based type of meditation that is designed to develop the skill of focussing on our inner and outer experiences with acceptance, understanding and patience. It involves concentrating on thoughts and sensations of the mind and body, and is often taught as part of stress or pain reduction programmes.
Mindfulness Practice in short is about “Waking up from autopilot” by:
- Paying attention in a particular way
- On purpose
- In the present moment
Scientifically proven benefits of regular meditation practice:
- Reduces pain
- Enhances mental wellbeing
- Enhances physical wellbeing
- Improves mood and quality of life, particularly in those suffering from chronic pain conditions eg. fibromyalgia
- Improves working memory
- Improves emotional intelligence
- It is a potent antidote to anxiety, stress, depression, exhaustion and irritability
- Reduces addictive and self-destructive behaviour
- Improves immune system
- Improves control of blood sugar levels in Type II Diabetes
- Improves heart and circulatory health by reducing blood pressure and lowering the risk of Hypertension
Small Group Meditation Classes:
Monday Evening 6:30pm to 7:30pm
Sunday Morning 10:00am to 11:00am
Please call or text 07824154195 to check availability in your area.